1. Getting pied. Today, I was pied 3 times during A lunch. The DECA president is one of my yearbook students and asked me to participate in the Pie-a-Teacher fundraiser. Since I am a sucker, I said yes. And then I took three pies to the face in front of a third of the school. One from a former student, one from a current student, and one from some kid who I have never seen before. But at least the students know that I am a teacher who can have a good time.
2. Morning/Afternoon Announcements. This morning on the announcements they told the students to stop by my room to pick up school pictures and student IDs after school. The only bad part of this is that the announcement was supposed to be made tomorrow so that my students in yearbook class could sort through and prepare everything. So the entire student body (or a large portion) descended upon my room after school today wanting their pictures and most of them were quickly turned away. Oops!
3. Crazy students. So after I closed the door to the publications lab with the strict instructions to the newspaper editors that no students should come in the lab and NO one should touch pictures/IDs, I left to help my students run a yearbook club meeting. When I looked out my door I saw a couple of students rifling through the pictures/IDs. I went in and took the box from a student and said "Excuse me, you should not be in here." Then one of the students got all huffy and retorted back "Excuse you. You don't have to be so rude." I think I probably just looked at her crazy. Who talks to a teacher like that? I am even dressed up today so I don't look like a student. She started to storm out and I asked her to come back so I could talk to her. She left and walked down the hall talking about how rude I was. Then she came back down the hall, came in the lab, and said "My mom is on my phone and wants to talk to you about how rude you just were to me." How ridiculous is that? So I told her I didn't have time to talk to her mother as I was in the middle of a meeting, but I would be happy to discuss pictures with her later. So the student informed me that her mother would be coming up to the school to talk to me. So I found the student's pictures and ID and brought them down to the administrator and security so that they could deal with the student AND her mother. Turns out the administrator was already looking for this girl's sister as she was in trouble too.
4. Crazy teachers. Every school has the one teacher who is so batsh*t crazy that they make Amy Winehouse look normal. Prior to this year I hadn't personally had any issues with her. I heard all of the horrible stories about how she didn't do her job, how she pushed people out of leadership positions, and how she generally complained about life. This year, however, was my year. Seeing as she is a senior citizen who tries to live vicariously through the class that she sponsors, she declared war on me with the change in Senior Superlatives. This week she declared war on another class after accusing them of stealing Senior shirts. Bottom line is that she creates an atmosphere that is only conducive to gossip, not learning.
Sometimes I wonder why I put up with the ridiculous hours, the endless grading, and the crazy people. And then I remember it only takes 1 student who says something witty or insightful to change my mood.
No comments:
Post a Comment