Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Summer Reading Fun

So today was one of those days where my job totally got in the way of my life outside of school. My freshmen were presenting their summer reading assignments and many of the students read the novels from the Twilight series.

Originally, I didn't want to read the series because it seemed like a total teen fad. And while I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I wasn't sure I had enough space in my personal canon for another long series of stories about not-quite-human teenagers and all of their trials and tribulations. However, after my best friend told me how much she loved the series by Stephenie Meyer, I decided I should probably read it too.

Unfortunately, I spent my summer preparing for the two new classes I am teaching this year (which included 10+ works for IB 2 and lots of curriculum guides for Yearbook) instead of reading the Twilight series. I really worked hard to ignore the hype and press for Breaking Dawn (the 4th book in the series) so that I could read the entire series without any spoilers. Things were going so well...

Then my little 9th graders destroyed that all today. The entire series was officially ruined as the students outlined the characters and plot of each book, one by one. Grrrr.  I guess I will just have to jump on the pop lit. train sooner next time.

**On a side note, I found it interesting that every book my student read this summer mainly dealt with death or sex. Most of the students read Young Adult Lit. and after listening to their presentations I have noticed that each novel must include at least one of the following:

a. Drugs

b. Sex

c. Death (mainly suicide or tragic accident)

d. Abuse

e. Gossip


What is this world coming to?  No wonder the Odyssey doesn't whip my kids into a frenzy!

No comments: